Vietnam Pagodas

Quốc Ân Temple

Huế(Chùa Quốc Ân)

Quốc Ân Temple

Overview & history

Quốc Ân Temple (Chùa Quốc Ân) is a Buddhist temple in the city of Huế, central Vietnam.

In the main hall is a banner, containing a verse of praise of the temple and its founder, written by Nguyễn Phúc Chu, one of the Nguyễn lords who once ruled central and southern Vietnam and the city of Huế. The temple is situated on a small hill in the ward of Trường An in the city of Huế. It is located about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from the Phú Cam bridge that spans the Perfume River, which passes through Huế.

The temple was founded by Zen Master Thích Nguyên Thiều (1648–1728), between 1682 and 1685, and was known as the Vĩnh Ân Temple. Thích Nguyên Thiều was originally from China, and was a disciple of Thích Khoáng Viên, from Guangdong in southern China. In 1677, he immigrated to southern Vietnam by boat, to settle in territory ruled by the Nguyễn lords. He had initially arrived in Bình Định further south, founding the Chùa Thập Tháp Di-đà (Vietnamese for Temple of the Ten Towers of Amitabha). After building his first temple, he travelled the region expounding the dharma, before travelling to Huế to found the Hà Trung Temple in Vinh Hà district before moving to the Ngự Bình mountain district to build the Vĩnh Ân Temple.

In 1689, the Nguyễn Lord Nguyễn Phúc Trân had the name of the temple changed to the Quốc Ân Temple, and gave the temple an exemption from the land taxation system. Chùa Quốc Ân is the seat of a Buddhist patriarch lineage of central Vietnam, since Zen Master Thích Nguyên Thiều was the 33rd patriarch of the Lâm Tế Zen School. Today, the bulk of Buddhists in central and southern Vietnam are believed to have taken refuge under Thích Nguyên Thiều's lineage of disciples and students. After the passing of Thích Nguyên Thiều, the ruling Nguyễn Lord of the time, Nguyễn Phúc Chu posthumously conferred him with imperial titles.

During the time of the Nguyễn dynasty, which was founded in 1802 and was derived from the Nguyễn lords, the temple was renovated many times. In 1805 Long Thành, the elder sister of Emperor Gia Long personally funded a renovation project.

At the time, the temple was a modest and simple. In 1822, the temple was the subject of another imperial funded renovation project, this time funded by Gia Long's son and successor, Emperor Minh Mạng. In 1825, the abbot died and a stupa was built in the garden of the temple, in which his remains were interred. The temple was the subject of another phase of expansion and renovation between 1837 and 1842. From 1846 to 1863, a triple gate was built, along with further shrines.

At the front of the temple complex is the main ceremonial hall, while the patriarch hall is at the rear, while the sangha's quarters are at the sides. The main hall has a shrine commemorating the birth of Prince Siddhartha, who went on to achieve enlightenment as Gautama Buddha. In the front yard of the temple, there is a plaque in 1729 erected by the Nguyễn Lord of the time, Nguyễn Phúc Chu, praising the spiritual achievements of the temple founder, Thích Nguyên Thiều.

Visiting tips

  • Dress modestly; remove hats and keep quiet inside the main hall.
  • Incense, flowers and offerings are usually sold right outside the gate; light an odd number of sticks (1 or 3).
  • Most pagodas open from early morning to evening and are free to enter (some major sites charge a small scenic fee).
  • Full-moon days, the 1st of the lunar month and Tet are very crowded; visit on weekday mornings for a quiet experience.
  • Ask permission before photographing inside shrines; do not touch statues or altar objects.

Location

Coordinates: 16.44271, 107.58731

🧭 Directions on Google Maps

Other pagodas in Huế

Chùa Diệu Đế
Chùa Diệu Đế
Chùa Diệu Đế (妙諦寺) toạ lạc bên bờ sông Đông Ba, nay là số 100B đường Bạch Đằng, gần cầu Gia Hội. Chùa Diệu Đế cùng với chùa Thiên Mụ và chùa Thánh Duyên là ba ngôi quốc tự của nhà Nguyễn còn tồn tại đến ngày nay.
Chùa Huế
Chùa Huế
Chùa Huế dưới thời chúa Nguyễn đã được xuất hiện nhiều thêm kể từ khi Nguyễn Hoàng vào trấn đất Thuận Hóa. Chùa ở Huế phát triển mạnh trong khoảng thời gian vua Gia Long đến Duy Tân trị vì. Trong khoảng thời gian này, ngoài việc trùng tu, tái thiết và sửa chữa, nhiều chùa mới đã được xây thêm và đến nay, Huế là nơi có mật độ chùa chiền cao với trên một trăm ngôi chùa lớn nhỏ. Có những tượng Phật, tượng Bồ Tát, chuông, khánh đồng, khánh đá và nhiều văn vật khác của Phật giáo các thời Lê, Trịnh, Nguyễn còn lại đang được thờ tự và bảo quản tại các chùa Huế, đây là một kho tàng về văn hóa của Phật giáo Huế.
Chùa Thánh Duyên
Chùa Thánh Duyên
Chùa Thánh Duyên (chữ Hán: 聖緣寺) là một công trình kiến trúc phật giáo có nguồn gốc từ thế kỷ thứ 17 và do vua Minh Mạng trùng tu và xây lại vào các năm 1825 và 1836. Chùa tọa lạc tại núi Túy Vân, xã Vinh Hiền, huyện Phú Lộc, thành phố Huế. Cảnh quan chùa và núi Túy Vân được vua Thiệu Trị xếp thứ 9 trong Thần kinh nhị thập cảnh.
Chùa Thiên Mụ
Chùa Thiên Mụ
Chùa Thiên Mụ hay còn gọi là chùa Linh Mụ là một ngôi chùa cổ nằm trên đồi Hà Khê, tả ngạn sông Hương, cách trung tâm thành phố Huế (Việt Nam) khoảng 5 km về phía tây. Chùa Thiên Mụ chính thức khởi lập năm Tân Sửu (1601), đời chúa Tiên Nguyễn Hoàng - vị chúa Nguyễn đầu tiên ở Đàng Trong.
Chùa Từ Đàm
Chùa Từ Đàm
Chùa Từ Đàm là một ngôi chùa cổ danh tiếng ở Huế, chùa hiện tọa lạc tại số 1 đường Sư Liễu Quán, thuộc phường Thuận Hóa, thành phố Huế, Việt Nam.
Chùa Từ Hiếu
Chùa Từ Hiếu
Chùa Từ Hiếu hay Tổ đình Từ Hiếu (Chữ Hán: 慈孝寺, Từ Hiếu Tự) là tên một ngôi chùa ở thôn Dương Xuân Thượng III, phường Thủy Xuân, thành phố Huế. Chùa là một trong những ngôi cổ tự lớn và là một danh lam có tính văn hóa và lịch sử của cố đô Huế.